We’re thrilled to see that NORMS, and our Bellflower restaurant on Lakewood, received an excellent write up in the Long Beach Press-Telegram’s dining and entertainment guide, Cheers! In “The Restaurant Guy’s Review of the Week” feature, writer Ryan Riley touted NORMS as “the quintessential SoCal restaurant.” To prove his point, Riley took readers on a gastronomical tour of NORMS Bellflower, sampling several classics and new favorites, including our Hot Mess Pastrami Fries, Baby Back Ribs and Warm Cinnamon Monkey Bread a la Mode.
We’re delighted that Riley and his dining companion were so happy with the food and the service they received! You can read the full article here, but be prepared to get hungry!
We’re proud to share that a member of the NORMS family – Corporate Executive Chef and Director of Purchasing, David Cox – was recently featured in Kernels, a leading trade publication produced by the Wheat Foods Council.
The article highlights Chef Cox’s participation in a hands-on workshop at The Culinary Institute of America in Napa Valley, during which he and fellow chefs discussed and demonstrated creative ways to incorporate wheat foods into their menus.
Chef Cox also discusses his role in personally selecting the food and ingredients for NORMS, an important task given the number of items made from scratch, such as our light and fluffy hotcakes. In addition to menu and recipe development, Chef Cox, a 14-year veteran of NORMS, also trains the staff and store managers.
You can read the full interview in the electronic version of Kernels.
NORMS, a SoCal casual dining tradition since 1949, was formally honored by the Greater Huntington Park Chamber of Commerce with its Business Excellence Award for its contributions to the community as well as being one of the oldest established businesses in Huntington Park.
Ramon Gonzalez, the General Manager of the NORMS Huntington Park restaurant on East Slauson Avenue, accepted the award at the Chamber’s 111th Installation Dinner and Business Awards Banquet May 11, 2017 at the Bicycle Hotel and Casino in Bell Gardens. To qualify for recognition, a business must have been in operation for a minimum of 30 years. With the award, the Chamber also recognizes businesses, such as NORMS, that have stimulated the local economy while providing jobs and services within the community.
NORMS traces its roots back nearly 70 years, when Los Angeles native Norm Roybark opened his first coffee shop near the corner of Sunset and Vine. The second-oldest NORMS operating today, the Huntington Park location opened in 1959 and boasts the iconic Googie-style architecture that originated in Southern California in the 1940s. Open 24/7, NORMS continues its tradition of serving breakfast, lunch and dinner in a casual atmosphere. Its employees have worked at NORMS an average of twelve years.
“It’s truly an honor to receive this award,” commented Gonzalez. “On behalf of the entire NORMS family, I’d like to thank the Chamber, and we look forward to serving the community of Huntington Park for many more years to come.”
NORMS honorees with Huntington Park Chamber of Commerce members. Pictured, L-R: Leonardo Lopez, Jr., board member; Sonia Luz-Chavez, board member and past president; Ramon Gonzalez, general manager of NORMS Huntington Park; Octavia Sotelo, service director of NORMS Huntington Park; Leticia Martinez, Chamber executive director/CEO; and Ronald V. Garcia, past Chamber president and Installation Dinner and Business Award Banquet’s master of ceremonies.
NORMS has been serving delicious food to Southern Californians in a casual dining atmosphere since 1949. Our guests return frequently to enjoy their favorites. While we love giving our guests what they want, we also enjoy tempting them with something new, just to keep things fresh and exciting. Our newest menu items seem to be getting a lot of attention, not only from our guests, but from the press as well. Our new menu items have just been featured in Nation’s Restaurant News. The new items include breakfast, dinner, sandwiches, starters, sides, salads and even dessert. Read on and be prepared to find a new favorite!
- Mushroom, Spinach & Swiss Omelette: Sautéed Mushrooms, fresh baby Spinach and melted Swiss Cheese. Served with Hash Browns or fresh cut Seasonal Fruit, and your choice of Toast, English Muffin, Biscuit & Gravy or two Hotcakes.
All the entrees below are served with our Chef’s hearty Soup, made from scratch daily, and a Mixed Green Salad or Caesar Salad, choice of Potato and Vegetable of the day.
- BBQ Grilled Chicken Breast: A boneless, skinless Breast slathered with Kansas City Style BBQ Sauce and topped with Fried Onion Strings.
- Hand Battered Fish & Chips: Wild caught Haddock fillet lightly hand battered and fried golden brown. Served with generous portion of French Fries, Tartar Sauce and Creamy Coleslaw.
- “Old Smokey” Spaghetti & Meatballs: Two BIG Fontanini Italian Meatballs traditionally made with Beef, Pork, Parmesan, Garlic, Herbs and Spices atop Barilla Spaghetti. Tossed in scratch-made Marinara Sauce and topped with Parmesan Cheese. Served with Garlic Cheese Toast instead of Potato.
- 3/4 Lb. T-Bone Trio: NORMS 3/4 lb. T-Bone Steak served with four breaded, fried Shrimp and three golden brown, breaded Chicken Tenders. Honey-Mustard Sauce, NORMS Cocktail Sauce and fresh Lemon served on the side.
BURGERS & SANDWICHES
Both are served with choice of French Fries, Onion Rings or fresh cut Seasonal Fruit.
- Pastrami Swiss Burger: ½ LB. USDA Choice Chuck Burger Patty, freshly ground and hand-pattied in our kitchen, topped with hot Pastrami, Swiss Cheese, creamy Coleslaw, Pickles and Red Onion on a grilled Bun.
- Hot Pastrami Sandwich: Thinly sliced lean hot Pastrami on Grilled Rye with Swiss Cheese, creamy Coleslaw and NORMS Special Sauce.
Served with Garlic Cheese Toast.
- Ranch Sirloin Steak Salad: Sliced Sirloin Steak over chopped Romaine Lettuce with Ranch dressing, mixed Jack and Cheddar cheese, Tomatoes and fried Onion Strings.
- Buffalo Chicken Salad: Crispy fried Chicken Breast chopped and tossed in Buffalo Sauce and served over a crisp bed of Lettuce with Tomato, Green Onion and mixed Jack and Cheddar Cheese.
NORMS now offers four new appetizers to wake up your taste buds:
- Hot Mess Pastrami Cheese Fries: Crispy fries topped with lots of Pastrami, melted Jack and Cheddar Cheese and NORMS Special Sauce.
- Jalapeno Poppers: Six crispy Jalapeno halves filled with Cheddar Cheese, breaded and fried golden brown. Served with Ranch Dressing.
- Batter Fried Bacon with Ranch: NORMS Hickory Smoked Bacon, hand-battered and fried golden brown. Served with Ranch dressing.
- Onion Strings: Sliced thin, slightly breaded and fried crispy.
A delicious basket of Sweet Potato Fries now takes its place among other NORMS side dishes.
Finally, NORMS now offers two new desserts. The Warm Cinnamon Monkey Bread is a warm and sticky Cinnamon-Caramel Glazed Monkey Bread, dusted with Powdered Sugar. It’s also available a la mode. Warm Churros are fried crisp, rolled in cinnamon and sugar and served in a paper sleeve.
Come out today and try one (or several) of NORMS new menu items, and experience what the press is talking about!